Wednesday, March 18, 2015

a bit of story writing - my attempt at a novel | introducing the Arbuthnot Brothers


Back in October of 2014, I wrote a small bit of fiction called Of Old Documents and Maples for Rachel's Chatterbox. Now, oddly enough, I got a lot of good feedback from you all on that piece. I was rather amazed, seeing that I hadn't really put a whole lot of thought into the piece nor was I sure I wanted to finish it. But now that I know some of you like it, and because the characters in the fiction bit were ones that'd been floating around my head and I had been dying to write about, I've decided to take on writing a novel.

This novel, mind you, isn't looking to be finished for quite sometime. I'd say a good 10 years. Writing a novel is rather a daunting prospect at this point, seeing that I am in no way an author of fiction (let alone an author of really much else). So I am taking this journey slowly and steadily. I've been compiling research, vocabulary words I'd like to use (I hope I'm not terribly silly and am the only one who does this), character traits for both my main protagonistsEmory and Cyril Arbuthnotand for other potential characters, historical context and analysis (I plan on writing this novel as an historical fiction detective piece ... complicated, huh?), and so much more. It's been a ruddy blast!

Novel to-be-titled; featuring the likes of Emory and Cyril Arbuthnot
And since my novel will be based around the 1920s, I get to study the masters of the Golden Age of Detective Fiction such as Dorothy L. Sayers, Agatha Christie, Josephine Tey, Edgar Allen Poe, Michael Innes, and Ellery Queen (pseudonym for authors Frederic Dannay and Manfred Bennington Lee). I am rather excited about that prospect, as I am already a huge fan of Sayers, Christie, and Tey. And I've just picked up my first mystery novel by Innes!

Seeing as this is a whole new adventure for me, I am gladly accepting critiques, advice, suggestions, disapproval, reading materials (or recommendations of what to read/study), or dark chocolate. Send all such miscellany to me by commenting on this post, sending it to my email, or the jolly old-fashioned snail mail way to Charity Klicka, One Patrick Henry Circle
Purcellville, VA 20132.

Here's to a new adventure in fiction writing. Stay tuned for a post a two each month on my process, as well as a few snippets of my work here and there.

Cheers!

All text © 2015 Footprints in the Sand | All Images © 2015 Charity Klicka Photography

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jolly great of you to comment! I do so love to hear from my readers. I encourage civil discussions, informative comments and suggestions (the small praise shan’t go amiss), and enormous amounts creativity.

:: Note :: If you posted a question, I will reply to your comment on this post.

If you have a concern, comment, suggestion, etc, that you'd like a quick reply to, email or twitter will work best!-