Thursday, February 27, 2014

the wonder of - quotes on books



Tonight seems like a splendid night to post quotes about books. For quotes are jolly, and books are even better. Don't you agree?

I am in a particularly book-reading mood tonight, but unfortunately studying is at the top of my list (and alas, not the book reading type of studying).

So please enjoy some quotes on books by fantastic peoples. And should you have a moment, I'd love to hear what sort of books (I'll accept articles too) you're currently reading. 

QUOTES ON BOOKS: 
heads up, a lot of the quotes may or may not be from by C.S. Lewis

>> You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.” 
C.S. Lewis 

 >>One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.” 
J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone 

 >> A good novel tells us the truth about its hero; but a bad novel tells us the truth about its author.” 
G.K. Chesterton, Heretics 

 >> A children's story that can only be enjoyed by children is not a good children's story in the slightest.” 
C.S. Lewis 

 >> Many people, myself among them, feel better at the mere sight of a book.” 
Jane Smiley, Thirteen Ways of Looking at the Novel 

 >> Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again.”
C.S. Lewis 

 >> The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid.” 
Jane Austen 

 >> It is a good rule after reading a new book, never to allow yourself another new one till you have read an old one in between.” 
C.S. Lewis

 >> What a pity every child couldn't learn to read under a willow tree...” 
Elizabeth George Speare, The Witch of Blackbird Pond 

 >> “Eating and reading are two pleasures that combine admirably.” 
C.S. Lewis 

 >>A room without books is like a body without a soul.” 
Cicero 

 >> Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them.” 
Lemony Snicket, Horseradish 

 >> If one cannot enjoy reading a book over and over again, there is no use in reading it at all.” 
Oscar Wilde 

 >>There is no friend as loyal as a book.” 
Ernest Hemingway 

 >> No book is really worth reading at the age of ten which is not equally – and often far more – worth reading at the age of fifty and beyond.” 
C.S. Lewis 

 >> I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! -- When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.” 
Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice 

 >> A great book should leave you with many experiences, and slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading.” 
William Styron, Conversations with William Styron 

 >> I can't imagine a man really enjoying a book and reading it only once.” 
C.S. Lewis

 >> Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.” 
Charles William Eliot

>> "Fill your house with stacks of books, in all the crannies and all the nooks." 
Dr. Seuss 

>> "The things I want to know are in books; my best friend is the man who'll get me a book I ain't read."
Abraham Lincoln 

>> The man who does not read good books, has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.” 
Mark Twain 

>> There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island…and best of all you can enjoy these riches every day of your life.”
Walt Disney

>>Master those books you have. Read them thoroughly. Bathe in them until they saturate you. Read and re-read them…digest them…a student will find that his mental constitution is more affected by one book thoroughly mastered than by 20 books he has merely skimmed.” 
Charles Spurgeon 

>> If we encounter a man of rare intellect we should ask him what books he reads.” 
Ralph Waldo Emerson


Which authors or quotes are your favorite?

All text © 2014 Footprints in the Sand | All Images © 2014 Charity Klicka Photography

2 comments:

  1. Oh, these are all fabulous! Thank you for taking the time to share them. I haven't read anything by Lemony Snickets but I NEED to, because I like all the quotes I've read. I should think I would enjoy the dry, cynical wit they seem to display. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. MMM...I needed to read these. Thank you. <3

    ReplyDelete

Jolly great of you to comment! I do so love to hear from my readers. I encourage civil discussions, informative comments and suggestions (the small praise shan’t go amiss), and enormous amounts creativity.

:: Note :: If you posted a question, I will reply to your comment on this post.

If you have a concern, comment, suggestion, etc, that you'd like a quick reply to, email or twitter will work best!-