Friday, February 21, 2014

February Muses - LINKS


This new year has been quite a thrilling one, all things considered. And not just thrilling for me, but also it seems for the world. What with the Seahawks absolutely decimating the Broncos 43-8, the Olympics in Sochi (and all that comes with it, #SochiProblems), the horrific and heartbreaking events in Kiev, all this crazy weather the east coast has been getting, and numerous other big headline news stories. 

Well to add to all that, I've compiled a small list of less significant (much less significant) events and reads that I've found interesting. So stay a minute or two, and browse my indie link selections.

My Findings (L to R, top to bottom):

1. I have been browsing (and loving) some new typographic quotes. Love the lettering and text of this particular one: Running Into Your Arms - Wilderness Love (WL Music) [2013] From the album “Awake My Soul” by Wilderness Love.

2. This is an incredibly horrific and heartbreaking before and after shot of Keiv's Independence Square. << It just makes you think...and personally, it reminds me to be thankful for the democratic government we have in place (despite all the problems we do have with it). It also burdens my heart to see such devastation, but furthermore reminds me that we have a God who cares. We often think, why do bad things happen to good people? But that's just it, there was only one good person and he died for us.
"Why do bad things happen to good people? That only happened once, and He volunteered." -R.C. Sproul Jr
It's for us to look to God and trust Him in those difficult and overwhelmingly hard times. I don't know why God has allowed so much hurt and turmoil in Kiev, other than that we are sinners. But truly it isn't my place to wonder why, it is my place to simply trust him with it and to lift up Kiev in prayer.

^Sorry about that little spiel right there, I think my heart is just profoundly heavy.

3. Really interesting Economist article about using words properly. Definitely an interesting read // Johnson: Lexical Clean-Ups. If you're interested, I'd love to discuss this article with you.

4. A really fantastic interview from Archery 360 with one of my beautiful, dear friends Emy // Emily Hyland: "I Don't Know How Katniss Does It". You've also got to watch the video embedded in the post, featuring Emy and talking about how anyone and everyone can do archery. #Adventure, anyone?

5. This is a very interesting read from Andy Greenwald (Grantland) on the BBC TV series Sherlock and it resurrection of series with its 3rd season. Greenwald discusses how Sherlock belongs to each of us, and the correlations between the timeless classic and the modern retelling. Be sure to take a look // ‘Sherlock’: Resurrection: The miraculous return of television's true detective.

6. I've been particularly longing (my own sehnsucht) after the sea the past few days. What with the weather being a wonderful mix of frosty, rainy, and foggy (probably 3 of my favorite types of weather), I've had the great urge to travel to the seashore and drink in the fresh, cold, and salty air. All that to say, I'd like to share with you some of my wanderlust through some inspiring images of the sea (and all things related). The particular image in the collage above is one I took of the book cover of The End of Barbary Terror (one of the books I read for my book challenge).
"The cure for anything is saltwater — sweat, tears, or the sea." -Isak Dinesen
7. "The terror of poverty lies in the poor person's vulnerability to violence." << Yet despite this, we have the opportunity to CHANGE THEIR EVERYDAY! How, you ask, can we change their everyday? By awakening the world to the hidden plague of violence! The Locust Effect is a book by Gary Haugen (President and CEO of IJM) and Victor Boutros is an eye-opener to the atrocious forms of social injustice happening worldwide. More specifically, it addresses the issue of violence, and how the end of poverty requires the end of violence. Please just take a minute to read more about the Locust Effect. And for anyone who is interested in justice, I HIGHLY recommend you pick up this book!

8. This is a video about an honest conversation on Beauty and Body image by SoulPancake + Darling Magazine >> We truly need more of this!

9. Here's a really fantastic desk I found through Pinterest, of course! ;) I could see myself doing some serious creating at this desk


And there you are! Enjoy all these wonderful, obscure links! Please feel free to comment about anything having to do with anything I just posted or said. I welcome comments, discussion, questions, and creativity!

all the best,
All text © 2014 Footprints in the Sand | All Images © 2013 Charity Klicka Photography, or sourced appropriately through aforementioned links.

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm. Kiev. It's really a little startling, how this is coinciding with reading Bonhoeffer's biography. In my sleep at night the Sochi Olympics, Kiev, and WWII Germany are all colliding. What you said about Kiev reminds me of this quote I just read this afternoon from Bonhoeffer:
    "Just as time-lapse photography makes visible, in an ever more compressed and penetrating form, movements that would otherwise not be thus grasped by our vision, so the war makes manifest in particularly drastic and unshrouded form that which for years has become ever more dreadfully clear to us as the essence of 'the world.' It is not war that first brings death, not war that first invents the pains and torments of human bodies and souls, not war that first unleashes lies, injustice, and violence. IT is not war that first makes our existence so utterly precarious and renders human beings powerless, forcing them to watch their desires and plans being thwarted and destroyed by more 'exalted powers.' But war makes all of this, which existed already apart from it and before it, vast and unavoidable to us who would gladly prefer to overlook it all."
    I suppose we can take this as a challenge and an encouragement: the world is perhaps just as wicked now as it has ever been...but no more so. We can just all see under a world-wide spectacle the implications of our sin natures.
    And He is victorious over it all. We can be sure of that.

    ReplyDelete

Jolly great of you to comment! I do so love to hear from my readers. I encourage civil discussions, informative comments and suggestions (the small praise shan’t go amiss), and enormous amounts creativity.

:: Note :: If you posted a question, I will reply to your comment on this post.

If you have a concern, comment, suggestion, etc, that you'd like a quick reply to, email or twitter will work best!-