Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Perfectionism Will Kill You, Dear


Perfectionism. I'm constantly comparing myself, and I can't seem to stop. Why is it that there is always someone who has something better than I, something that I keep thinking I could/should have or be doing? 


"The 'what ifs' and 'should haves' will eat your brain."
-John O Callaghan

^And they are. They eat away at my heart, and my mind, and my life. There will always be "what ifs" and "should haves".

Some lovely thinkings from my dear friend, Jewel:
Thought for today- don't worry about doing things perfectly, just create & be passionate & have fun with it! Excellence, we can reach for...perfection is God's business.
"Perfectionism is the voice of the oppressor, the enemy of the people. It will keep you cramped and insane your whole life, and it is the main obstacle between you and a silly first draft. I think perfectionism is based on the obsessive belief that if you run carefully enough, hitting each stepping-stone just right, you won't have to die. The truth is that you will die anyway and that a lot of people who aren't even looking at their feet are going to do a whole lot better than you, and have a lot more fun while they're doing it.” -Anne Lammott

Perfectionism will kill you, dear. It truly will. 


And what's the point of being perfect anyway? Perfection is boring. Please be yourself, for yourself if not for anyone else.

All text © 2014 Footprints in the Sand | All Images © 2014 Charity Klicka Photography

1 comment:

  1. So true, and thanks for the reminder! The other day I jokingly told my mom that I didn't want to do music theory class because I "don't have room in my life to be bad at something."
    it was a joke but pretty much, that is perfectionism: I can't enjoy doing something I haven't perfected. Definitely an area I need to be giving myself grace in.

    ReplyDelete

Jolly great of you to comment! I do so love to hear from my readers. I encourage civil discussions, informative comments and suggestions (the small praise shan’t go amiss), and enormous amounts creativity.

:: Note :: If you posted a question, I will reply to your comment on this post.

If you have a concern, comment, suggestion, etc, that you'd like a quick reply to, email or twitter will work best!-