Thursday, January 30, 2014

RECIPE || No-Bake Chocolate Chip Granola Bars (Gluten Free)


Well folks, here's that recipe you've been anticipating for months! Well not really, seeing as not even a fourth of you all knew I made such yummy goodness as chocolate chip granola bars (that also happen to be gluten-free). But here they are anyways! This is a simple step-by-step recipe for families, and specifically for college students on a budget (and one with limited time). They're really quite delicious, and healthier than your average grocery store bars. 

I do hope you enjoy them!


No-Bake Chocolate Chip Granola Bars

yield: 10+ bars
time: 2ish hours, including cooling time 
cook time: 5 minutes 
total time: 2 hours max


INGREDIENTS:

  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1/3 cup packed brown sugar {I used 1/4 cup because added with the honey, the 1/3 cup made it too sweet}
  • 2 cups gluten-free quick cooking oats {gluten-free rolled oats work perfectly fine too!}
  • 1 cup crispy rice cereal
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 tablespoons chocolate chips {I used semi-sweet}, normal or mini

DIRECTIONS:

 In a large bowl, stir oats and rice cereal together. Set aside.  In a small pot, melt butter, honey and brown sugar together over medium high heat until it comes to a bubble. And here is where I like to include my chocolate chips. I just add them right to the heated mixture and melt them down! Reduce the heat and cook 2 minutes. Pour in vanilla and stir.  Pour heated mixture over dry ingredients and mix well to moisten all ingredients.  Pour mixture into lightly greased small jelly roll pan {a greased cookie sheet works too} and press out to be about 3/4 inch in thickness. {If your pan isn't small enough, pack the mixture into one side. You'll really want to press them down so they stick together.}  Sprinkle with chocolate chips (you can also use mini chips) and press down lightly. 
Here's me, pensively enjoying these delicious bars.
 Cool on a counter top to room temperature for two hours (or place on freezer for less than an hour) or until the chocolate chips are set before cutting into bars.  Wrap in parchment paper or plastic wrap (which I used) and store at room temperature. 
:: NOTES ::
If your granola bars don't seem to be staying together when you cut them, you may have not boiled the mixture long enough (you want the sticky mixture to be like a toffee of sorts when you add it to the dry ingredients). OR you made them too thin or you didn't pack them in tight enough. Stick them in the fridge for 20 minutes and that should help keep them together. Also, adding more honey and less sugar will act as an insurance for stickier, more clinging bars. 
ENDING THOUGHTS: I personally like keeping my bars in the freezer until I'm ready to eat them, and there are a few benefits to this: 1) they stay fresher, 2) once you let them sit for under a minute after taking them out of the freezer, they become this really pleasant chewy (and slightly cold) texture and are SUPER delicious, and 3) they can be easily hidden from siblings, or children if you'd like to keep such delicious bars to thyself (as I do).

ENJOY!
\


All text © 2013 Footprints in the Sand | All Images © 2014 Hislight Photography

2 comments:

  1. Looks awwwwwwesome. I feel like these would be amazing to pack for a picnic on an adventure. Like Williamsburg! I love Williamsburg...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you thank you thank you for sharing this recipe! I'll have to try these soon, as baking and I are slowly becoming buddies. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Jolly great of you to comment! I do so love to hear from my readers. I encourage civil discussions, informative comments and suggestions (the small praise shan’t go amiss), and enormous amounts creativity.

:: Note :: If you posted a question, I will reply to your comment on this post.

If you have a concern, comment, suggestion, etc, that you'd like a quick reply to, email or twitter will work best!-