Wednesday, November 20, 2013

do as YOU have spoken


   "And now, O Lord God, confirm forever the word that you have spoken concerning your servant and concerning his house, and do as you have spoken." -2 Samuel 7:25

This is just one of those days, again. Overwhelmed with school, work, and on top of it the weather has been rather crummy (which, by the way, does not help on ‘these’ kind of days) and I've had a jolly cold I've been trying to fight for over a week now. And although I love the cold weather, the only thing I want to do on cold, crisp days is stay in bed, drinking a cup of tea and studying or reading a good book. I can’t do that today. Work is calling my name, and school won’t let go of its hold on me. And all this just adds to the amount of worry and stress I already have.

But it is in these times that I have to remember God's promises. More specifically, I choose to remember that God loves it when we bring to Him the promises He has made to us. For "nothing pleases our Lord better than to see His promises put in circulation; He loves to see His children bring them up to Him and say, 'Lord, do as you have said'" (Spurgeon). 

Earlier this morning, although already running late, I stopped and spent some time with my Father. In the past 8 or so months I have been reading through Morning and Evening Devotions by Charles Spurgeon*. I went back and read a devotion from January 15th**, and it really moved my heart.

A good while ago I talked about how I sought to find Joy in my Savior. I explained how that Joy gets me through each and every day. Well, this devotion speaks of putting God's promises into circulation, for "God's promises were never meant to be thrown aside as wastepaper; He intended that they should be used" (Spurgeon). How incredibly beautiful are these words, "Lord, do as You have said"? The Lord has promised. Therefore we can be assured that these promises will come true. Let us, dear reader, daily bring His promises before the Lord.
Never let the promise rust. Draw the word of promise out of its sheath and use it with holy violence. Think not that God will be troubled by your importunately reminding Him of His promises. He loves to hear the loud outcries of needy souls. It is His delight to bestow favors. He is more ready to hear than you are to ask. The sun is not weary of shining, nor the fountain of flowing. It is God's nature to keep His promises; therefore go at once to the throne with, "Do as You have said"-Spurgeon
We bring glory to God when we plead His promises. Do you think that your sins are too great, or His holiness too holy to be poured on you? Remember His words, for He has said "Come now, let us reason together, says the LORD: though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red like crimson, they shall become like wool" (Is. 1:18). 
Faith lays hold upon the promise of pardon, and it does not delay, saying, "This is a precious promise--I wonder if it be true?" but goes straight to the throne with it and pleads, "Lord, here is the promise. Do as you have said." Our Lord replies, "Be it unto you even as you will. -Spurgeon
When a Christian grasps a promise, if he does not take it to God, he dishonors Him; but when he hastens to the throne of grace and cries, "Lord, I have nothing to recommend me but this, You have said it," then his desire shall be granted. Our heavenly Banker delights to cash His own notes (Spurgeon).

So dear reader, are you struggling with a great trial? Is there a difficulty that you just can't seem to get through? Or perhaps you're overwhelmed with the speed the world wants you to go, and you don't have a second to catch your breath? I know how you feel. I have been there, and frankly I am still there. But as a weary traveler like you, I encourage you to remember the blessed promises of the Lord. And to bring "His promises [into] circulation", pleading with Him to do as He has said. He promised, dear child. Will He not do as He has said? 

Simply go before the throne of God, right now, and bring to Him the promises He has made to you, His child. For you are His precious one, and He loves you.

Sincerely,
footnotes & copyright:
All text © 2012 Footprints in the Sand and Charles Spurgeon
*Morning and Evening, by Charles Spurgeon; A New Edition of the Classic Devotional Based on The Holy Bible, English Standard Version. Revised and updated by Alistair Begg. 
**If you would like to see the entire text of Charles Spurgeon's January 15th Morning Devotion, just send me an email and I'll send it along to you!
All Images © 2012 Charity Klicka Photography

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jolly great of you to comment! I do so love to hear from my readers. I encourage civil discussions, informative comments and suggestions (the small praise shan’t go amiss), and enormous amounts creativity.

:: Note :: If you posted a question, I will reply to your comment on this post.

If you have a concern, comment, suggestion, etc, that you'd like a quick reply to, email or twitter will work best!-