Sunday, August 25, 2013

College Adventures - Go Get 'Em!


Well readers, I'm off to college! Although officially, I am not going off anywhere. I've started classes at my local community college, taking courses that will directly transfer to a history major at a four year college (to be determined). I'm rather excited! Although community college isn't like actually moving away and staying at a college, there are many aspects to it that are just like your typical four year college. 

I am excited for the new experiences that this semester will bring! I've signed up for 5 classes, plus I am still working, so I'm planning on this semester being an adventurous one! Are any of you all starting college? I'd love to hear about it! Where are you going? What are you majoring in? And really all that fun stuff! You can shoot me an email or comment down below.

Since I've started college classes at an actual college (I've taken a few AP courses in my senior and junior years of highschool), I've come to notice a few particular things (these can be regarded as college tips, but I do not feign to be an authority on the matter).

A FEW COLLEGE TIPS:

1. YOU'RE ALL NEWBIES. All the other freshman are just as or more excited and nervous about starting college as you are. You are all taking this big adventure together. That means you can have the confidence in knowing that you're starting this new journey with others, others who are going through the same struggles and triumphs as you. I don't know about you, but that's pretty encouraging to me.

2. ASK QUESTIONS. When in doubt about anything college related, never hesitate to ask questions. All college faculty and staff encourage you to ask them questions. And no, you won't look stupid if you ask a question that more than half of the class already knows the answer to. Always better to be safe than sorry, especially when it comes to beginning college.

3STAY FOCUSED. I know how easy it is to get caught up in all the new experiences and activities that come with college. But remember to always prioritize your time. Set time aside for homework for each respective course, for devotions, for work, and for family time. Balance all that jazz, and you will be mighty glad you did.

4. BE BRAVE. Don't be afraid to try new things, meet new people, and speak up in class! These are all important aspects of college, that all freshman (as well as sophomores, juniors, and seniors) should know and do. Don't let the unknown daunt you from stepping out of your comfort zone and daring to live. Speak up in class when your teacher asks questions, introduce yourself to new classmates and get to know them. Try new activities (joining clubs, sports teams etc)! Be brave, and don't let the fear of the unknown keep you from doing your very best. Of course it's easier said than done. But just try it. Next time you walk into your classroom, make an effort to say hello to a fellow classmate you've never talked to. Ask them what their favorite subject is, or what their favorite hobby is. You'll be surprised at the outcome. Trust me, it'll be worth it!

5. LIVE. Live vibrantly and let each experience make a difference in your life. 

Go get 'em!

All text © 2013 Footprints in the Sand | All Images © 2013 Hislight Photography

1 comment:

  1. Great tips for anyone to remember; whether being a newbie just beginning the first steps of college or someone like me who seems to have been around a campus for ages now. Thanks for the advice! :)

    ReplyDelete

Jolly great of you to comment! I do so love to hear from my readers. I encourage civil discussions, informative comments and suggestions (the small praise shan’t go amiss), and enormous amounts creativity.

:: Note :: If you posted a question, I will reply to your comment on this post.

If you have a concern, comment, suggestion, etc, that you'd like a quick reply to, email or twitter will work best!-