Thursday, January 24, 2013

Gillian Stevens - A heart for adventure || GUEST POST



I've admired Gillian's work, and her heart, for ages. Although we've never officially met in person, I feel as though I know her so well. Please enjoy these lovey words and photos from Gillian.



- TELL US ABOUT YOURSELF?

My name is Gillian Stevens.. I am a 21 year old fashion-student from Vancouver Canada. I also play the part of wife, photographer, blogger, and shop girl in my hours away from school. I love being creative and am constantly finding new outlets to express my creativity, and expand my skill set. I got married in August of 2012, and when asked about married life I can only respond by saying that I feel my full self now more than ever before – I love my new life with my husband!


- WHERE DID YOUR INSPIRATION FOR FASHION COME FROM?

I am so inspired by my friends and family. Growing up I always struggled with who I was and being myself. When I surround myself with people I love, I feel like I know who I am and it gives me the confidence to try new styles.

My interest in fashion probably started from watching my mom get dressed for work. It seemed like she had a closet full of shoes and I think I tried them on all of the time until they finally fit me.


WHAT ARE THE TOP 3 QUESTIONS ASKED BY YOUR FOLLOWERS?

I get asked a lot about my photography: what I shoot with, what tips I have for better photos etc. I shoot with a Canon 5d Mark II, and I really love it. As for better photos, just go out and shoot as much as you can. I learn by doing, and so the best way to grow is just to get as much experience as possible.


- TELL ME ABOUT A DAY IN YOUR LIFE.

Well my days are all different so I don’t really have anything consistent to answer with..The only thing that I’d say is the same are our mornings: My husband and I wake up early (6am) and he makes coffee (I make it on weekends), we do devotions together and then we get ready for school/work. If we make enough time then breakfast is thrown in there but a lot of days we don’t get to it..



- WHAT ARE THREE THINGS YOU'VE TOLD YOURSELF THAT KEPT YOU GOING DURING YOUR DARKEST HOUR?

I never really trust myself when I feel down. The only voice I trust is God’s and I go to some of my favorite verses for refuge. He always has of way of bringing the comfort I need.

Joshua 1:9, Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.


- WHAT ARE THREE LIFE MEMORIES YOU RECALL MOST FREQUENTLY AND WHY?

My wedding is number one for sure. It almost seemed like a life time event, seeing as I had been preparing for it since I was a little girl. It most likely will be a life highlight until I have children. I couldn't have been prepared for the indescribably joy I felt having everyone I love witness my husband and I give our hearts to each other and to God for the rest of our lives. It was perfect.

Also - moving to England in 2009 changed me and I have so many precious memories from that year.


- WHAT TIPS CAN YOU RECOMMEND TO AN ASPIRING BLOGGER/PHOTOGRAPHER/DESIGNER THAT YOU'D ONLY SHARE WITH A CLOSE FRIEND (and everyone reading this blog)?

I think the biggest thing is, try not to compare yourself to others. It is so easy to get wrapped up with what other people are doing, but it will take away from your own progression and accomplishments. There are always going to be people out there with more resources, experience, etc. If you seek to try and be like someone else, or be better than other people then your work won’t be genuine and it will leave you feeling unsatisfied.

Learn to be proud of yourself and your work.  Recognize that putting yourself out there, be it for art or photography or blogging, requires vulnerability. Being that vulnerable isn’t easy, but it can also be a real gift to others and bless others in ways you may never know.

EDITOR'S NOTE:

Gillian! I loved loved loved conducting this interview with you! Your passion, your desire to serve Christ, your love for your husband, your courage to engage yourself in the new adventures of life, all have inspired me to live fuller for Christ! Getting to know more about you and your passion behind life has been so encouraging. I would, in a heartbeat, do this interview all over again. Thank you Gillian for taking time out of your crazy life to do this with me.  

Gillian is fantastic! Her creativeness and all-around inspiration for life is so catching! Go check out her blog, and sigh.

xoxo,
All text © 2013 Gillian Stevens, Queations and Editor's Note by Charity Klicka All Images © 2012-2013 Gillian Stevens

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jolly great of you to comment! I do so love to hear from my readers. I encourage civil discussions, informative comments and suggestions (the small praise shan’t go amiss), and enormous amounts creativity.

:: Note :: If you posted a question, I will reply to your comment on this post.

If you have a concern, comment, suggestion, etc, that you'd like a quick reply to, email or twitter will work best!-