Thursday, November 15, 2012

Where is Your Hope? || 2012 Elections

Election’s Over—God’s Still in His Heaven, All’s Right with the World

Well, it has been a week since the November 6 presidential elections. I’ve been thinking a lot about the elections results, and it is very easy to be discouraged with the outcome. This election I was actually able to participate, and I had the amazing opportunity to witness firsthand the passion, energy and faithfulness of tomorrow’s leaders through Generation Joshua (GenJ).
I volunteered with GenJ Thursday the 1st through Tuesday the 6th. I walked miles and miles passing out literature door-to-door (and sprained my ankle because of it ;), waved signs by the freeway until I couldn’t feel my hands (or face), call-banked with about six other girls all in my hotel room, sorted literature for hours until I had memorized every word on every pamphlet, and all the while held optimistically onto the hope that at the start of the new year we might have a new president. It was an amazing experience, and I enjoyed every part of it. But when the results for the election were announced Tuesday night, and Virginia was colored blue, I just about wanted to cry (seriously). We had all worked so hard in the Loudoun County area to get the Republicans (or those undecided) to vote. Virginia was one of the key states, and every single vote counted. It was a hard blow. Everyone on my team was frustrated at the work they put into the elections, and at the outcome.
Wednesday morning I headed back to my home (I had stated in Sterling, VA for the campaigning). Frankly, I was in despair. I set my hopes on a new president, and when God decided He had other plans I just wasn’t happy. I had forgotten that our hope is not in any politician, nor in a political party, nor even in the United States of America. I am proud to be an America, and thankful that God has blessed this great nation. But driving home, I just let myself be overwhelmed with despondency. I tuned in to the radio, and the first song I heard was My Hope Is In You by Aaron Shust. The chorus goes like this, “My hope is in You, Lord / All the day long, I won't be shaken by drought or storm / A peace that passes understanding is my song / And I sing my hope is in You, Lord” And then the bridge goes, “I will wait on You, You are my refuge”. How amazing, how true are these words. I prayed right there in the car, “Lord, whatever happens, You are my refuge and I will place my hope in You!”  (My prayer was a good deal longer, but I shan’t bore you ;).
So you see, although we need to stay involved in politics, fight for what is right, and be good stewards of this amazing nation, we need to remember that ultimately the only thing that matters (truly matters) is if we have accepted Christ as our personal Lord and Savior and surrendered our life to Him. Heaven is our home; this earth is only a temporary stop. We are strangers and exiles here, but we are citizens of Heaven.  Remember the words of God in Hebrews:
 “These all died in faith, not having received the things promised, but having seen them and greeted them from afar, and having acknowledged that they were strangers and exiles on the earth. For people who speak thus make it clear that they are seeking a homeland. If they had been thinking of that land from which they had gone out, they would have had opportunity to return. But as it is, they desire a better country, that is, a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared for them a city.” (Hebrews 11:13-16, ESV)
And so, take heart dear reader! No matter who wins or loses elections, God is and will always be faithful. He reigns over all the earth, and our victory is assured in Him!
So what can we do now? For starters, share the Gospel—the Good News of Jesus Christ—with the people around you. Get involved in your local church. Look for ways to help the lost and hurting in your community. Shine Christ’s light in a dark and hurting world. Next, pray for our president. Yes, he may not be who we would have wanted, but he is still our president and we can pray for God’s guidance in his life to make the right choices, to stand up for the voiceless, and to (maybe one day) look again to God.
Stay strong and courageous, this life will be a struggle and we will have to work hard for what’s right! But it will be a struggle worthwhile because we have already won victory in Jesus!


In His name,

  
All text © 2012 Footprints in the Sand | All Images © 2012 Hislight Photography

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jolly great of you to comment! I do so love to hear from my readers. I encourage civil discussions, informative comments and suggestions (the small praise shan’t go amiss), and enormous amounts creativity.

:: Note :: If you posted a question, I will reply to your comment on this post.

If you have a concern, comment, suggestion, etc, that you'd like a quick reply to, email or twitter will work best!-