Wednesday, September 19, 2012

for this Day


This is a little of what my day looked/looks like. Warm yogurt honey waffles with maple syrup and fresh raspberries, Grapefruit juice fizz, a little bit of Sehnsucht*literature study of C.S Lewis and his craze for Northernness, a plethora of chapters and materials to read in preparation for my World History exam, and a messy desk that I haven't used since, I don't know when (simply because the desk is messy and these days I have not been in the best of moods to clean it). You want to help? 

When I think of traveling, of visiting places like Scotland, Wales, Ireland and England, of the adventures that will befall me on such a journey, I get this sensation of Sehnsucht*.

In German, Sehnsucht means an "inconsolable longing", a kind of mystical yearning. Can I better explain what I feel? Surely not. A sort of yearning comes over me, likened almost unto C.S Lewis's "Northernness"1.

I now work on my essay on Lewis and his Northernness craze, whittling away the hours until the essay is due and anticipating bible study tonight. All the while, pondering on this sense of Northern calling accompanied with that thing called joy. My mind is fully engaged at this point, I can't turn back now.


All text © 2012 Footprints in the Sand | All Images © 2012 Hislight Photography

1 Lewis on Northernness, "I was uplifted into huge regions of northern sky, I desired with almost sickening intensity something never to be described (except that it is cold, spacious, severe, pale, and remote) and then, as in the other examples, found myself at the very same moment already falling out of that desire and wishing I were back in it” (17). as Musings about this to come later, be looking. || *SehnsuchtSehnsucht is a German noun translated as "longing", "yearning", or "craving", or in a wider sense a type of "intensely missing". However, Sehnsucht is difficult to translate adequately and describes a deep emotional state.

1 comment:

  1. I just watched your vlog and it made me miss you even more!

    A word that comes to mind that is similar to Sehnsucht is cianalas. It means homesickness directly, but I think of it more as a longing for one's native land.

    <3 x100 ort!

    ReplyDelete

Jolly great of you to comment! I do so love to hear from my readers. I encourage civil discussions, informative comments and suggestions (the small praise shan’t go amiss), and enormous amounts creativity.

:: Note :: If you posted a question, I will reply to your comment on this post.

If you have a concern, comment, suggestion, etc, that you'd like a quick reply to, email or twitter will work best!-