Thursday, September 6, 2012

Increase Your Joy.


Breathing in the cool morning air, I picked up the pace and pushed myself to sprint up the hill. As I the reached the top and started a slower decent down the other side, I breathed deeply of fall approaching. This is it. These are those moments you take in as they come. No, nothing fantastic was taking place in my life. No spiritual retreats renewing my soul. Yet here I was, running freely through the beautiful countryside as I thought of my savior. 

These were some of the thoughts running through my head yesterday morning as I went on my daily morning run down our dirt road here, in Hamilton. Yes, nothing fantastical was happening in my life and yet God filled me with an overwhelming sense of joy. As C.S Lewis said, "Joy is the serious business of Heaven." And indeed it is.

When I run every morning, I feel the joy of God. I breathe in the air He has provided. I think of those He has placed in my life. 

Within the past two+ years I have been working on my flexibility. As a child, I had always wanted to take ballet. Unfortunately, it never worked out. But a few years ago I resolved to (despite not actually doing ballet) learn ballet moves and stretches. I have worked to stay flexible, and to my surprise being flexible has helped in many ways.

I have been able to think clearer, injuries turn out to be not as painful and so forth. It has been one of the few blessings God has provided me over the last years since my father's death.

It has been a time to breathe deeply, relieve stress, and remember again to trust God. I have now, through stretching, accomplished both the right and left splits, and I can do various toe stretches with my hands flat on the ground etc. There aren't really any technical names for the sorts of stretches I do, but I can tell you they didn't come in short order. Through time, perseverance and stretching, stretching, and stretching flexibility was at last achieved. All that to say God has been watching over me, He has been leading and guiding me since my father's death and provided me a way to find a little joy.

To me, Jesus, meine freude*.


What does joy mean to you?

"The inevitable result of preaching the Gospel to yourself will be a pronounced joy, an infectious joy, a consistent joy. Like nothing else, the Gospel creates joy; it's both the source and the object of our joy." 
-C.J. Mahaney

All text © 2012 Footprints in the Sand | All Images © 2012 Hislight Photography | *Jesus, [is] my joy 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jolly great of you to comment! I do so love to hear from my readers. I encourage civil discussions, informative comments and suggestions (the small praise shan’t go amiss), and enormous amounts creativity.

:: Note :: If you posted a question, I will reply to your comment on this post.

If you have a concern, comment, suggestion, etc, that you'd like a quick reply to, email or twitter will work best!-