Friday, May 18, 2012

There is so much to be thankful for

Some days we forget
To look around us
Some days we can't see
The joy that surrounds us
So caught up inside ourselves
We take when we should give.


Some days we get so caught up in our own problems. I know I do all the time. I become an idol in my life. And when that happens, I tend to be short with others, grumpy, negative and all around a pain to be with. I take and don't give. I don't like it when this happens. I don't enjoy treating others poorly, or snapping at them when they do the slightest thing wrong. Yet my problems just seem to get the better of me. I rant and rave inside my head, and I wonder "why?" 

This past week I have been struggling through a few trials. I always seem to be compared (or I'm comparing myself) to others. I am not as thin as her, not as smart as him, not as caring as him, nor as responsible as her...and the list goes on. These are the times when I am reminded of Habakkuk 3:17-19. Habakkuk went through so much, cities fell around him and he asked God, "O Lord, how long shall I cry for help, and you will not hear?" (Habakkuk 1:2).

Certainly Habakkuk had greater cause to complain more than you or I. Yet he rejoiced, despite his circumstances. And he continually reminded himself of God's promises and steadfast love:
"Though the fig tree should not blossom, nor fruit be on the vines, the produce of the olive fail and the fields yield no food, the flock be cut off from the fold and there be no herd in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the LordI will take joy in the God of my salvation. God, the Lord, is my strength; He makes my feet like the deer's; He makes me tread on my high places."
Habakkuk 3:17-19
Despite the hardships Habakkuk faced, he rejoiced in the Lord, the God of his salvation

Ever faithful, never failing, is our Lord God. Even though there are trials all around us, we lose our job, we fail a test, a friend deeply hurts us, we can still rejoice in the Lord. The Lord is ever faithful, always and ever. 

Dear child, if you are going through a trial and you just can't see the light at the end of the tunnel, remember the words of the Lord, "Look among the nations, and see; wonder and be astounded. For I am doing a work in your days that you would not believe if told" (Habakkuk 1:5). He is working great things in and through your trials. Oh child, may you see how He is working though your pain and your hurt. And may you have the courage to trust an ever faithful God. Give it over to him, and rejoice!

TODAY I AM THANKFUL FOR: 
my family/a place to worship/freedom of speech/ tea/long walks/a new job/fresh cut flowers/summer approaching/the gospel/my daddy's diligent teachings/love, even in hard places/memories/to live another day for Him

What are you thankful for?
Have you been encouraged in some way by Habakkuk's story?


All text © 2012 Footprints in the Sand | All Images © 2012 Hislight Photography

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for posting this, Charity! A friend of mine just passed away, and I've been having a hard time rejoicing. He was only 19, so it's hard. I know that he is rejoicing with his Savior, but it's hard for those of us left behind. This is SO what I needed; thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete

Jolly great of you to comment! I do so love to hear from my readers. I encourage civil discussions, informative comments and suggestions (the small praise shan’t go amiss), and enormous amounts creativity.

:: Note :: If you posted a question, I will reply to your comment on this post.

If you have a concern, comment, suggestion, etc, that you'd like a quick reply to, email or twitter will work best!-